The Whatcom County Medical Society was founded in 1889 by eight local physicians. Over the past 122 years, it has grown to include over 300 active and retired physicians in Whatcom County. The WCMS promotes public health and physician education and provides a number of medical services for the community.
To strengthen and sustain the physician community in Whatcom County.
- We work together as physicians, across organizations and specialties, to serve our patients, our community, our profession and our members.
- We promote ethical and effective medical care and advocate for the conditions and resources needed for its practice.
- We work with our partners in Whatcom County to address challenges to the health of our community and to assure that our community is provided medical care of the highest quality.
Sports Exam Program
Each year WCMS physicians volunteer their time and expertise to perform sports exam physicals for returning high school students. These exams take place each May, and each student is asked to donate $10. The funds collected are then used by the high schools to promote their athletic training programs.
Western Foundation Pre-Med Scholarship
In 1996 the physician members of the Whatcom County Medical Society donated over $10,000 to create an endowed scholarship for Western Washington University pre-med students through the Western Foundation. The fund continues to grow, and a scholarship is awarded each year.
2013 Board of Trustees
- Peter Valenzuela, M.D., PeaceHealth Medical Group, President
- Roy Taylor, M.D., Bayside Vein and Laser Clinic, President-elect
- Bree Johnston, M.D., PeaceHealth Medical Group, Secretary/treasurer
- Deborah Hall, M.D., Family Care Network, Immediate Past President
- Jason Stoane, M.D., Northwest Radiologists, Trustee
- Tung Ha, D.O., Fourth Corner Neurological Associates, Trustee
- Tracy Ouellette, M.D., Physiatry Associates, Trustee
- Jennie R. Crews, M.D., PeaceHealth Medical Group, Trustee
- Marta Kazymyra, M.D., Bay Medical Clinic, Trustee
- Mitchell Kahn, M.D., Bellingham Internal Medicine, Trustee
- Gary Goldfogel, M.D., Whatcom County Medical Examiner, Trustee